Philippians 3: Pursuing a Life toward Jesus Christ


verse 12: Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

verse 13: Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,

verse 14: I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.


◇ We often encounter people who proudly talk about their religious accomplishments. They say their faith stands in a certain tradition, follows certain leaders, and that they are orthodox, etc. These statements are not made as an explanation or clarification against misunderstandings, but as boasts to show themselves off, saying "This is who I am, don't mess with me!"

Paul also encountered many people who claimed, "This is who I am, don't mess with me!", while spreading the gospel. So, Paul states that he is superior to them in what they boast about. He had been circumcised, belonged to the tribe of Benjamin, was a Pharisee, and had been a persecutor of Christians. He reminds them that there was nothing lacking in his pedigree, knowledge of the law, adherence to the law, or zeal for Judaism.

However, Paul considers all these things as harmful, because none of the things they boast about as beneficial could make him righteous. Only Jesus Christ can make us all righteous. Therefore, Paul comes to regard those things they boast about and what he had once taken pride in as rubbish.

Paul talks to those who boast as if they have already achieved everything about the true life of mankind. The true life is recognizing that Jesus has taken hold of us and running toward Him. Jesus has grasped us, but we have not yet grasped Him. The true life is to follow the life Jesus has shown and taught us. The true value of human life is running toward Jesus Christ, who has taken hold of us.


♧ Lord, let us live a life striving toward Jesus Christ with all our hearts! Holy Spirit, lead us in truth!