Galatians 6 (#3) : What should I boast about?


Verse 14: But may I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.


◇ A pastor who has dedicated his life to street evangelism said that his only boast is in Jesus. Jesus is his only boast, so he went out into the streets with a banner that read "Heaven for believers, hell for unbelievers," regardless of rain, snow, or scorching sun. He said that he wanted only Jesus to be proclaimed and for the fragrance of Jesus to flow from him. He wished to nail his desires, passions, and money to the cross, thinking only of Jesus and boasting in him.

I felt ashamed when I heard the words of the elderly pastor. What am I boasting about? Do I really want only Jesus to be my boast and to flow from me? 

However, there was a part that left me feeling a bit uneasy. He said that because he had proclaimed Jesus so much, he now lives in a nice house and enjoys peace. He had experienced hunger like eating a meal, being despised by people, and even being pointed at by fellow Christians. It seemed that the pain was deep in his heart. At the same time, he seemed to be happy to receive the reward in the twilight of his life. Although I know that boasting in Jesus is not about seeking rewards in this world, he is still a vulnerable human being who cannot help but be influenced by the world.

Paul also says that his only boast is in Jesus. He states that his background, education, circumcision, and everything else are not his boast. He says that he is crucified to the world, meaning that the world has no influence over him anymore. Only the cross of Jesus Christ has an impact on him: "From now on, let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus" (verse 17).


♧ Lord, help us to become those who boast only in Jesus, who is not something that people envy! May we be grateful and boast only in the marks of Jesus who saved us! Holy Spirit, lead us in truth!