1 Corinthians 4 (#2): For the Sake of Christ


Verse 10: We are fools for the sake of Christ, but you are wise in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are honored, but we are dishonored.

Verse 11: To the present hour we are hungry and thirsty, we are poorly clothed and beaten and homeless,

Verse 12: and we grow weary from the work of our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure;

Verse 13: when slandered, we speak kindly. We have become like the rubbish of the world, the dregs of all things, to this very day.


◇ My 6-year-old son asks to wrestle, run, have quiz time, play tag, sing "The Rose of Sharon has Blossomed," and engage in various other games. There is not a single game in which I cannot win while playing these games. However, there is not a single game in which I do win. I lose all ten out of ten times, barely losing by a hair's breadth. I let him taste the ultimate victory without hurting the pride of a 6-year-old boy.

I manipulate the victories at will. Why? Because I love my son, I lose on purpose so that he won't be disappointed. Because I love my son, I become weak and a loser. I can win, but I choose to lose. It's because of love.

Paul became a fool, weak, and lowly while preaching the gospel. Paul was wiser, stronger, and more honorable than those who listened to the gospel, but he did not make them foolish, weak, or lowly. Instead, he became so himself.

Why? Because of Christ. They were like infants who needed to drink milk, like little children. How must Paul have felt when he saw them pretending to be wise, strong, and honorable? Paul patiently and lovingly dealt with them with the heart of Christ, as if feeding milk to nursing infants.

There are many times when we must pretend to be foolish, weak, and lowly while doing the Lord's work. It can be unfair and infuriating, and we may even feel a sense of self-loathing for doing it. But we must do it. Why? Because of Jesus.

Why was He nailed to the cross? It was because of me, like a little child.


♧ God, let us become foolish, weak, and lowly as we think of Jesus on the cross! Holy Spirit, lead us in truth!