2 Corinthians 11 (#2): Avoiding Boastfulness


Verse 17:

What I am saying, I am not saying as the Lord would, but as a fool in boasting confidence.


◇ The things Paul boasts about without shame are his lineage (bloodline) and the hardships he endured while spreading the Gospel. His bloodline is a boast of his authenticity to the Jews, and his hardships are a boast of his sincerity as a messenger of the Gospel to the Christians. Paul is boasting that he is of the highest pedigree, whether it be in terms of lineage, sincerity, as a Jew, or as a Christian. For Paul, boasting to this extent is neither difficult nor hesitant. These are facts and things he has personally experienced.

However, Paul does not want to boast about these things. What Paul wanted to boast about was nothing else but Jesus, who was crucified and died on the cross. Paul said that boasting about his bloodline and sincerity is not speaking as the Lord would. He referred to it as foolish talk. The talk of a fool!

Among my words, which is more abundant, the ones boasting about Jesus or the ones boasting about myself?


♧ God, make me a person who boasts about Jesus, not myself! Holy Spirit, lead me by the truth!