2 Corinthians 12: My Grace is Sufficient for You


Verse 7:

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.


◇ Paul found himself in a situation where he had to boast, albeit reluctantly. He boasts that he has had visions and revelations no less than others, but does so with reluctance. This is because what he really wants to boast about is not these things.

What Paul really wants to boast about is God's grace, the cross of Jesus, resurrection, salvation, and so on. He has to boast about the visions and revelations he has seen and received more than others, but what Paul is more proud of is the thorn in his flesh. Because it was given by God. Because it is a sign of grace given by God, worried that he might become arrogant and abandon God and fall into the slavery of Satan.

Visions and revelations that others envy and want to experience are not God's grace. Wealth, honor, and power that others envy are not God's grace. If you die with those things and fall into the slavery of Satan, that is not grace. Even if you have a painful and shameful thorn in the flesh, if you live a life walking with God, that is God's grace.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (verse 9).


♧ God, may our thanks and praise for your grace never cease! Holy Spirit, lead us in truth!