1 Kings 14: You have turned your back on me


Verses 7-9:
"Go, tell Jeroboam that this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'I raised you up from among the people and made you a leader over my people Israel. I tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you, but you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commands and followed me with all his heart, doing only what was right in my eyes. You have done more evil than all who lived before you. You have made for yourself other gods and cast idols, making me angry, and you have turned your back on me.'"

◇ In Solomon's later years, idolatry was rampant in Jerusalem, brought on by the gods of the foreign women he had married for political alliances. The people followed his lead, drawing near to and worshiping these idols. Even Solomon, the wisest of men, was not spared by God. He divided Israel in two.

Jeroboam had clearly seen all this. He was not ignorant of the sin of idolatry before God. The first and second commandments of the Ten Commandments are specifically against idol worship. The reason God divided the kingdom established and delighted in by David was because of Solomon's sin of tolerating idolatry.

While judging Solomon, God raised up Jeroboam to oppose the Davidic dynasty. Yet, Jeroboam fell even deeper into idol worship than Solomon. He made idols, not to worship them as gods, but to win the hearts of the people and secure his throne. In doing so, he turned his back on God, who had put him in power, and disregarded Him completely.

Jeroboam knew who had made him king, but instead of fearing and worshiping the One who had appointed him, he feared the people. He was more concerned about ruling and leading the people he was given charge of than honoring God.

We often know well what is most important, yet we lose sight of it because of worldly benefits. In our lives, we strive to keep or obtain what is beneficial to us, and in the process, we can miss or forget what is truly important.

May we not become those who, knowing who gave His Son for us, turn our backs on Him.

◇ God, make it clear to me who has established me! Make it clear what purpose I have been established for! Let me not seek my own benefit, but the benefit of the One who has established me! Holy Spirit, lead me in the way of truth!