1 Kings 18: It's my fault!


Verse 17: When Ahab saw Elijah, he said to him, "Is that you, you troubler of Israel?"

After Elijah had predicted a drought, Samaria suffered greatly from famine for three years. To understand the severity of the famine, consider that King Ahab, along with his close associate Obadiah, went out to search for water to feed their horses. If the king was in such a state, imagine the plight of the people.

Elijah met with Ahab to announce the end of the drought. Ahab was furious. He accused Elijah of being the troubler of Israel, believing that because of Elijah's prophecy of drought, he and all the people were suffering.

Why did the drought in Samaria begin?

Elijah answered, "I have not made trouble for Israel, but you and your father's family have, by abandoning the Lord's commands and following the Baals" (verse 18).

The reason for the drought, and thus God's punishment, was because King Ahab had worshipped Baal and turned away from God. The cause lay with Ahab himself.

People tend to think that good things are their doing, while bad things are someone else's fault. King Ahab was no exception. Likely, the people also thought the drought had begun because of Elijah and that they were suffering because of him. However, God is precise. The cause of the drought was that King Ahab and the people had forsaken God and worshipped Baal.

We can deceive human eyes and hearts, but we cannot deceive God. God is the sovereign who created and moves the world.

Lord, let me reflect on myself today! Keep me from blaming and resenting my neighbors! Help me to trust and depend on You, who governs my life and moves the world! Do not let me be disappointed! Holy Spirit, lead me on the path of truth!