1 Kings 9: What God Desires


Verses 6-7:
"But if you or your descendants turn away from me and do not observe the commands and decrees I have given you and go off to serve other gods and worship them, then I will cut off Israel from the land I have given them and will reject this temple I have consecrated for my Name. Israel will then become a byword and an object of ridicule among all peoples.

◇ There have been jokes about "nitrogen snacks," where snack bags are filled with more nitrogen than content, making them appear fuller than they are.

It seems like God is telling Solomon, "I do not want nitrogen snacks."

Even if it's a temple sanctified in His name, no matter how high, no matter how well built with excellent materials, no matter how splendidly decorated with gold and silver, it can be discarded and become a laughingstock.

Without a complete relationship with God, the temple is meaningless. The temple only has meaning when it establishes a complete relationship with God. If you serve foreign gods instead of following God, even the most splendid and wonderful temple is nothing more than nitrogen.

♧ God, just as you desire a snack rich in content rather than nitrogen, help us not to forget that you desire not a splendid temple, but our true hearts and a life following you. Help us to serve you with all our heart, soul, and strength! Holy Spirit, lead us in truth!