2 Kings 24: In the Fullness of Time


Verses 3-4:
It was because of the Lord's anger that all this happened to Judah and Jerusalem. He thrust them from his presence because of the sins of Manasseh and all he had done, including the shedding of innocent blood. For he had filled Jerusalem with innocent blood, and the Lord was not willing to forgive.

◇ The kingdom of Judah, established through David, was drawing to a close. They paid tribute and served Babylon but eventually rebelled, prompting King Nebuchadnezzar to send a great army. He took the king, officials, craftsmen, and warriors captive and plundered all the treasures of the temple. King Nebuchadnezzar appointed Jehoiachin's uncle as the new king of Judah. He too did evil in the eyes of the Lord. Thus, the kingdom of Judah, established through David, was gradually declining.

The Chronicler of Kings presents two reasons for Judah's downfall. The first is idolatry. They followed in the footsteps of Manasseh, the chief idolater of southern Judah, serving all kinds of idols (Chapter 21). The second reason was that Jerusalem was filled with the blood of the innocent. Those in power greedily committed all kinds of wicked acts for their own benefit and to maintain their power.

The reason for Judah's destruction was that the king and those in power had turned away from God and abandoned the powerless and vulnerable people. They had forsaken the two greatest commandments: to love God and to love their neighbor. The result was the destruction of the kingdom of southern Judah—a devastating and miserable end for the descendants of David, for the kingdom established through him.

"O Lord, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity" (Jonah 4:2).

Like Jonah said, God is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. He does not wish to judge sinners or those who stray from His will; instead, He waits patiently, hoping they will turn back and giving them opportunities because of His great love.

But when the time comes, God will judge.

Lord, help me to reflect on my own ways. Not just me, but let me also look upon the community I live with. Turn us back to You while You wait with love. In my daily life, help me to love and serve God and my neighbor faithfully and truthfully! Holy Spirit, lead me in truth!