Ezra Chapter 5: What shall I give to the Lord?


Verses 11-12:
They replied, "We are the servants of the God of heaven and earth and are rebuilding the temple that was built many years ago, one that a great king of Israel built and finished. But because our ancestors angered the God of heaven, he gave them into the hands of Nebuchadnezzar the Chaldean, king of Babylon, who destroyed this temple and deported the people to Babylon.

♢ Upon hearing the prophecies of Haggai and Zechariah, Zerubbabel and Jeshua resumed the work on the temple that had been halted. However, the governor of the region and his officials attempted to stop the construction. Yet, the elders of Judah did not succumb to their threats and continued building the temple.

They were asked, "Who authorized you to rebuild this temple?" This was because, due to their accusations, King Artaxerxes had ordered the construction to cease. It was a situation where the temple could not be rebuilt without the permission of the Persian king.

The elders were truly courageous. They were rebuilding the temple for God, which had been destroyed due to the faults of their ancestors. They were defying the orders of the king of a great empire to rebuild the temple for God. A single command from the Persian king could mean their lives were worth less than that of a fly. They were risking their one and only life to rebuild the temple for God.

These individuals were willing to risk their lives to protect what belonged to God. Could there be a greater sacrifice than life itself? I reflect on my own actions. How much am I sacrificing for the Lord? What am I offering to the Lord? My time, my body, my possessions, my talents, my household, my family... Among all the things I enjoy and possess, what am I offering up for the Lord? After all, everything is given by God.

I examine whether I still think God must give me something and constantly ask for more.

♧ God, I am grateful for what I have now, even though it may not be plentiful or sufficient. Grant me the heart, the will, and the courage to use what I have now for You with all sincerity! Holy Spirit, lead me in the truth!