Nehemiah Chapter 2: The Ways God Shows Love


Verses 8-10:
And I also said to the king, "If it pleases the king, may I have letters to the governors of Trans-Euphrates, so that they will provide me safe-conduct until I arrive in Judah? And may I have a letter to Asaph, keeper of the king's forest, so he will give me timber to make beams for the gates of the citadel by the temple and for the city wall and for the residence I will occupy?" And because the gracious hand of my God was on me, the king granted my requests. So I went to the governors of Trans-Euphrates and gave them the king's letters. The king had also sent army officers and cavalry with me. When Sanballat the Horonite and Tobiah the Ammonite official heard about this, they were very much disturbed that someone had come to promote the welfare of the Israelites.

◇ Chapter 2 of Nehemiah shows the process of Nehemiah, a cupbearer who earned the king's trust, going to become the governor of Jerusalem (1-9), and the situation upon his arrival in Jerusalem (10-20).

It brings to mind Paul's prayer about the "thorn in his flesh." Paul prayed earnestly about this physical ailment that caused him suffering, but God did not heal him. God had given Paul many gifts and had saved him from many crises, but for some reason, He did not heal this particular physical illness. Paul says that God's response to his prayers was "My grace is sufficient for you." And through this physical ailment, Paul confessed that God kept him humble until the end (2 Corinthians 12:7-10).

It occurs to me that God gives both medicine and illness. We readily understand, accept, and give thanks when He provides a cure, but why is it so difficult to understand and accept when He allows us to be ill? Seeing someone like Paul pray fervently makes me, a mere sinner, wonder even more.

Nehemiah headed to Jerusalem with the absolute support and help of the king and queen. At that time, he probably sang songs of gratitude, believing everything would proceed smoothly by the grace of God. He wouldn't have felt the fatigue of the long journey, filled with joy, gratitude, and anticipation.

However, obstacles like Sanballat and Tobiah awaited him, another hurdle to overcome.

Why does God give both medicine and illness?

God, I thank You for keeping us humble and for not letting us despair or give up. Looking at Ezra, Nehemiah, and Paul, we learn how You are with us, how You establish us as Your children and Your people. Yet, when we are sick, it is painful and hard. Have mercy on us! Holy Spirit, lead us into all truth!