Lent Day 39: Thirst (John 19:28-30)

Lent Day 39
Thirst
John 19:28-30

28 Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."
29 A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips.
30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

◇ In late October 2009, I traveled to Israel. Despite being the end of the month, the midday temperatures approached 40 degrees Celsius. Before setting off on the journey, the essential items emphasized were hiking boots that reached the ankles and a hat. However, once the trip began, I realized there was something even more crucial than those: water. It seemed I had emptied a 1.5L bottle of water in just half a day. I came to understand why water was so precious in Israel, regarded almost like life itself.

The thirst Jesus experienced on the cross would have been an unimaginable agony. It wasn't just simple thirst but a thirst from dehydration as his body was drained of blood and water. It's a level of thirst we have never experienced. "I am thirsty," the final words Jesus uttered—how much he must have suffered in his physical form.

Why did Jesus, who had no reason to be crucified, endure such pain and go to the extent of being nailed to the cross?

Lord, I thank you. Please have mercy on me for grumbling and complaining at the slightest discomfort. Help me to reduce my complaints and increase my gratitude! Holy Spirit, lead me in truth! Amen.