Nehemiah 10: Giving with Sincerity and Faithfulness

Nehemiah 10
Giving with Sincerity and Faithfulness

35. "Every year we will bring the firstfruits of our crops and of every fruit tree to the house of the Lord."
39. "We will not neglect the house of our God."

◇ In Chapter 9, Nehemiah, the leaders, and the priests praised God, confessed their sins, and committed to following God's law, sealing their commitment. Chapter 10 begins with a list of those who made this commitment, promising additionally to observe the Sabbath, contribute to the temple tax, offer the firstfruits, and pay tithes.

When I was young, my mother would take various things to church. Depending on the season, it could be vegetables, fruits, or even a little bit of money. Sometimes, I wondered why she would give so much, especially when we didn’t have enough for ourselves or I couldn’t buy something I needed. It felt unfair or even resentful at times.

My mother remained consistent until she passed away. Whether it was something valuable, insignificant, or immediately necessary for us, she did not hesitate to offer it to God first.

Seeing the commitments made by the people of Israel after rebuilding the temple reminds me of how my mother dedicated herself for the Lord and the church. It makes me reflect on my own actions.

♧ Lord, let us give with all our hearts and with sincerity. Holy Spirit, lead us in truth! Amen.