Nehemiah Chapter 6: Relentless Adversaries

Nehemiah Chapter 6: Relentless Adversaries

9. They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, "Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed." But I prayed, "Now strengthen my hands."

◇ The wall has been completed without gaps, yet the gates have not had their doors hung. Once the doors are in place, the reconstruction of the devastated city of Jerusalem will be finished.

It has been a truly arduous journey. We have withstood threats, blackmail, and mockery from external enemies without yielding. We have overcome internal divisions through wisdom and by setting an example. We worked with a spear in one hand and a hammer in the other. Now, with the hanging of the doors, the city will be complete. We will reap the fruits of our blood and sweat.

Even now, when it seems the enemies might give up, they persist, placing obstacles until the very end. They sent false letters to disrupt Nehemiah and even resorted to bribery to sway people. They sought to instill fear in Nehemiah and the people to make them give up.

In the Lord's work, there are always adversaries. They are persistent and cunning, not only relentless in their methods but also wise in their approach. They aim to instill fear, insecurity, despair, and discouragement in the Lord's servants, doing everything in their power to make them abandon the work.

We must take a lesson from Nehemiah. We should be wiser, more persistent, and hold onto a greater hope, moving forward towards the God who is with us.

Do not be discouraged. Do not despair. Do not be afraid. He has promised to be with us until the very end. The risen Lord, who has all authority in heaven and on earth, has promised to be with us.

♧ Lord, let me examine whether my plans, words, and actions are worthy of your will. If they align with your will, let me not be afraid. Do not let me be discouraged. Do not let me despair. Help me to trust in you, Lord, who is with me, and to move forward boldly! Make me someone who fits with your will. Holy Spirit, lead me in truth! Amen.