Esther 4: God Demands a Decision

Esther 4
God Demands a Decision


14 "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”
15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai:
16 "Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maids will fast as you do. After that, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish."

◇ Haman's anger was not just directed at Mordecai but extended to all the Jews in Persia. He plotted to kill not only Mordecai but all the Jews across the empire. As a result, many Jews nationwide donned sackcloth, laid in ashes, fasted, and wept bitterly.

Esther, upon hearing about Mordecai, tried to console him with new clothes, but it was in vain. When she sent a messenger to inquire about the reason, Mordecai explained everything in detail and urged her to approach the king to plead for their people. Esther initially refused, citing the custom that prevented her from doing so.

Mordecai's response to Esther’s refusal is found in verse 14.

It seems Mordecai is telling Esther to seize the opportunity God has given her. God had elevated Esther from an orphan girl living in exile to the queen of the mighty Persian Empire. She was positioned to do something significant for her people. A decisive action from Esther was needed.

Approaching the king uninvited was a risk that could cost even the queen her life. It's understandable to fear and question why one should take such a risk when staying silent could mean living a life of luxury and safety.

God is demanding a decision from Esther.

God’s plan will surely come to pass. If Esther refuses, God will deliver them through someone else. God's will shall be accomplished with or without Esther.

Through Esther’s decision to say, "If I perish, I perish," God worked mightily.
Missing the opportunity means missing out on being a co-worker in God’s plan.
Lack of time, inability, danger, personal dislike, or misalignment with personal tendencies are not excuses God accepts. He knows when we are making excuses. 

God, please prevent me from making excuses for the work I need to do now, and allow me to sincerely do my best in Your work. Holy Spirit, lead me in truth. Amen.