Psalm 22: My God, My God

Psalm 22
My God, My God  

1. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? 
2. O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest. 
6. But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. 
7. All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; 
8. "He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!" 
14. I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; 
15. my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. 21. Rescue me from the mouth of the lion! My afflicted soul you have delivered; you have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen! 
22. I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.  

◇ This is one of the most sorrowful prayers in the Psalms. 
The enemies of the psalmist see him as a worm and mock him, saying, "He delights in God; let God deliver him!" Despite his sorrow, the psalmist does not turn his back on God. He cries out to God, asking why He has forsaken him, and yet he continues to seek help from Him.  
Even in his suffering, the psalmist proclaims God's name to the world and confesses that everything belongs to the Lord and that He is the ruler of the world.  
Jesus' last cry on the cross, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani!" (My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?) was a cry of obedience to God. His crucifixion was a declaration of God's sovereignty and His rule over the world.  Although it seemed like a failure to the world, He was resurrected in three days and ascended to the throne of glory.  

♧ God, when we feel forsaken and struggle, when we are scorned by the world and our hearts are melting away, make us call out Your name! Make us pour out our hearts like water, asking why You have forsaken us! However, Father, do not let us forget that You are the ruler of the world, and make us confess and praise You. Holy Spirit, lead us to the truth!